I recently went to Mike’s Wine Dive with my friend, Amy. Amy and I first went to Mike’s Wine Dive about a year ago and it was awesome!!!! She’s been back several times since, but it was just the second time for me.
They have a 13 page menu of wines they offer by the bottle. It’s intense. It’s just a one-pager for wines by the glass. So go when you want to settle in for a while!!
I knew that we’d only be there for a short time. I ordered a glass of Manifesto Cab Sauv. I was informed by the waiter that they only offer Manifesto by the bottle now. Ummm okay, well I’m not paying $35 for a bottle when I can buy a bottle at the liquor store for $16. And by the way, you still list Manifesto by the glass on your online wine menu, Mike!
I settled on the La Flor de Pulenta instead per the suggestion of my waiter. It was still very tasty, so no biggie.
On to our appetizer, we ordered the bruschetta topped with basil pesto, cherry tomatoes, Parmesan cheese and Balsamic reduction.
This “bruschetta” was super tasty! Love love loved the Balsamic reduction on it. Although, I’ve never had bruschetta with soft hunks of bread like this. I thought bruschetta was a way to salvage stale bread, no??
Moving on to my entree…..last time, I got the Lobster, Shrimp, and Crab Macaroni & Cheese. It was excellent that first time I went to Mike’s Wine Dive!
This time, it was pretty ick and very disappointing. 😦 You know when you use crappy cheese and not enough cream….so that the cheese melts into goops of grossness? Yeah that happened.
With the changes in wine and to the quality of the entrees, perhaps that explains why we got a table right away on a busy Friday night. Also while we were there, a guy’s chair BROKE on him as soon as he sat down. And he wasn’t a big guy. (I would have been SO mortified if that happened to me!! Although would have been nice to get a free meal out of it…)
I looked online after our meal and have found that Mike’s Wine Dive changed management over the past few months. Well, new manager….get your act together!!! I would try Mike’s Wine Dive again since my first experience was so good. But I doubt I’ll risk ordering the Lobster Mac & Cheese again.
The most entertaining part of dinner happened in the restroom after Amy & I ate. There was the DRUNKEST middle-aged lady in the restroom. She asked us what we’d ordered to eat and we told her. Well, that opened the door for her to tell us her life story:
1. She’s on a date with a guy, but doesn’t know if she likes him. But she’s been dating him for SIX months.
2. She’s an admin assistant at an attorney’s office. And we should come by work some day and visit her. It’s the attorney’s office with the nice aquarium in the lobby…..like we should know where it is based on that?!
3. Her roommate is a contestant on Dancing With the Stars and we should come see her dance!! Wait what?! We finally figured out it was just a local Wichita version of it.
4. Her husband left a couple of years ago after he reunited with an old flame from high school that he found on FACEBOOK! FB is evil, y’all!
5. The old flame from high school is now……wait for it…..a professional female wrestler!!!
Ha….oh my goodness. We were trapped in the bathroom with this lovely nut job for over 10 minutes. Amy finally had the sense to fake a call on her cell phone and we got out of there.
So…..Mike’s Wine Dive…..great wine selection…..just okay food…..interesting bathroom entertainment.